Please note: This item has been sold
A carved Painswick stone chimney piece, George II, circa 1750. The compound moulded, inverted breakfront shelf above a frieze set with a plain tablet and above a moulded opening, the squared jambs with moulded capitals headed by scrolled carved volutes raised on squared base blocks. Painswick Beacon Stone is a limestone quarried form an area North of Stroud in Gloucestershire. This mellow coloured stone has been used for building in the region from ancient times and was also employed in the building of Gloucester Cathedral.
External Height 53 1/2 in (135.5cm) Width 71 1/4 in (181cm)
Internal Height 39 in (99cm) Width 37 1/2 in (96cm)
Depth 10 in (25cm)