Please note: This item has been sold
A pair of stylish early 20th century Art Deco chimneypieces in Hopton Wood Stone and contrasting Nero Marquina marble, with clean lines and minimalistic decoration designed by E W Hilton in the new assertive 'modern' style. The rectangular stone frame surmounted by a cleverly designed abstract Cubist frieze with a central tablet flanked by stepped and tiered panels which fall and continue down the jambs to the foot blocks. The opening framed by tiered marble panels. Circa 1926.
Cadburys, Somerdale, Keynsham, Bristol. In 1918/19 Cadburys merged with the chocolate manufactures Fry, who then needed to expand and in 1921/22 bought land at Somerdale and decided to build a new factory. In the Quaker, philanthropic tradition, houses and recreational facilities for their staff were also built; using modern construction techniques with steel frames concrete floors and modular window units. Fry’s asked their engineering department headed by the architect E W Hilton to do same, (he also acted as clerk of works and had help from A Alex Wilmot, architect and surveyor of the Cadbury Estate who signed some of the surviving drawings). The factory was extended in the 1930s and right up to 1960s. Following the recent purchase (2010) of Cadburys by the US based Kraft, the unlisted buildings were demolished and the land sold.
Height 62 1/8 in (158cm) width 71 in (180.3cm)
Internal height 40 in (101.6cm) width 42 in (106.7cm)
Footblock to footblock 71 1/2 in (181.6cm)